Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hurricane Irene and My experience



What if you will get to know that a Monster Hurricane might sweep your house away??  Or you realize that your city stands right in the middle path of deadly Hurricane?? Isn’t it Scary?? What would be your reaction to this event??

Even I was petrified to see in the news channel the destruction caused by Hurricane Irene in the Bahamas and is approaching towards the north east side of USA.  I live in Boston, one of the oldest cities of the United States where most of the houses are 100 years old.  Under such situation all ghastly things come to your mind and I was scared what if Irene rips off my house and take away all my precious belongings.

Emergency was alerted in most of the north east cities and in low lying areas people were asked to evacuate their houses. I have never experienced the natural disaster before and tracking the Irene path every now and then was the scariest experience of my life.  There were chances of the power outages, flooding and much more destruction but I was ready for the worst.

At that time my main concern was passport and all important documents which I packed in one carry bag if in case we have to leave our house and run for life. It might sound funny but even I noted down “Maha mrityunjaya Mantra” a prayer to lord Shiva for help in overcoming death.  At one point I even looked at my life line and thought it’s long enough to endure this deadly hurricane but instantly the thought of the end of the world made me panic again.

Constantly I was following the news channel for the latest updates and I was relieved when it was informed that Hurricane will turn into tropical storm by the time it will reach Boston.  At the same time I was praying for others lives and safety.  It was raining heavily the entire day on Saturday and Sunday and even could hear the roaring sound of the gusty winds but gradually it fainted.

Even though it caused less destruction as expected but took lives of 41 innocent people and my prayer go out  to all those that lost loved ones during the storm.







No comments: