Sunday, July 17, 2011

Paradise on Earth



Kashmir is the most beautiful place on this earth I have ever seen in my life. Its mesmerizing beauty can enchant anybody and will bound to make you return to this heaven once again.

Despite the tense situation in Kashmir, I find myself quite lucky that I got a chance to visit this place with my family. Its beauty cannot be described in words but can only be felt.  After taking blessing from holy goddess Vaishno Devi Mata we booked taxi for Srinagar. On the way we were able to see majestic mountains, enchanting rivers and many trees. Rows of Chinar and Deodar trees added incredible beauty to the valley of the Kashmir.

After a captivating journey we reached Srinagar in the evening. To experience the scenic beauty of Dal Lake we rented one houseboat for two days. It was the most beautiful days of my life. I could see the Shikara and houseboat communities spread all over the lake.  Its beauty was enhanced by surrounding Mountain View. Experience of Floating houseboat over beautiful waterways of Dal Lake was amazing. It was freezing cold in the month of March and houseboat owner offered us “Kahwa Chai” made up of spices. It is a tea with an exotic flavour and is best for cold winter as it keeps you warm.

Next day in the foggy morning standing on my houseboat I could feel this is the most tranquil place I have ever visited. I could watch Shikara the Kashmiri gondolas floating over the calm serene water, garden boat that gave the impression of floating garden, Ravens and Hawks swimming on the lake to catch fish. Many lofty mountains partially covered with snow enhanced its majestic beauty.

Wonderful thing about houseboat is that you don’t have to worry about shopping. Salesmen come to your doorstep by paddling their boat and selling you everything like chips, chocolates, sweaters, Pashmina Shawl, fresh flowers, beads, etc. Kashmir is also famous for its dignified style of dress. Salesman came to our houseboat along with photographers to get us clicked in Kashmiri dress( Pheran and Pathan Suit) and it was fun.

Ride in beautiful Shikara at the sunset was wonderful. It’s a perfect place for Honeymoon couple. While taking a round in Shikara we noticed vegetables fields in the lake. While rowing boat many of them were singing melodious Kashmiri songs and I got lost somewhere in that harmony.

Next day we planned to visit around the city.Srinagar is famous for it’s lakes and gardens. Chasme Sahi, Shalimar bagh, Nishat Bagh are famous among them. Shalimar bagh symbolises as monument of love. We could see many newlywed couple enjoying its beauty. All three gardens were illuminated by electric lights which add to its beauty.

Pretty Kashmiri girls enhance to its exotic beauty. They are the most beautiful woman in India I have come across. Fair, pretty eyes, sharp nose, rosy cheek gave the impression as if many apsaras had landed on the earth. Sight of an Indian Soldiers with guns in the cities brought me back to the reality of this place.

Third day we went to Gulmarg, hardly 52 kms from Srinagar. To experience Snow beauty, this is the best place. Meadows of Gulmarg were laden with flowers and long deodar trees and even Himalaya top could be seen from this place.  Snow covered mountains with greenery at the bottom gave magical effect. I feel this is the best place for trekking, skiing and horse riding.

Fourth day we had to leave for Delhi and nobody was happy to depart from such lovely place.  Seeing all our gloomy face around my four year old cousin very innocently said, “Mamma I am missing ‘Kahmir “   and the way he pronounced Kashmir as “Kahmir” we all burst into laughter.

P.S- I will revisit this place with my Husband :)



No comments: